What is it like to be going through fertility treatments?
Here is a description of a typical 2-months:
- I get my period
- Start injections
- Get an ultrasound and bloodwork every two days
- Raise the injection dosage
- Bloodwork and ultrasound
- Add another injection and some pills
- Time to go to to the mikveh
Doctor’s instructions: don’t have sexual relations until eggs are retreived. (As if waiting for the mikveh day itself wasn‘t enough). Oh yeah, and at 3:00 a.m. exactly you need to have an injection. – Does the specific time matter? – Yes
- Night before egg retrieval – fasting
- Arrive at the clinic
- Full anesthesia (the fun part)
- Wake up
Doctor’s instructions: don’t have sexual relations until the beta HCG pregnancy test. — What, wait, a whole month with no relations? – Yes.
- Vaginal pills that feel like cottage cheese in my underpants (Sorry )
- Nerve-wracking waiting period until the results come back
- Extremely painful stomach pains
- Rushing to the emergency room
- Infection in my uterus
- Negative beta test
- I want to start another round without waiting. No, you have to wait, your uterus is infected, a fetus is precious and you need optimal conditions for the treatments. We still can’t have relations (you know Nida and so on…). Wow – it’s already been a month and a half with no relations!
- Waiting for the next period
And repeat — God forbid!!!